Your audience is exposed to 362 ads each day but notices only about 42 percent of those. And who knows how many of those actually make an impact?
Have you seen your Twitter feed lately? There’s more great content than you can handle, and your target audience is also overwhelmed. So how can you make an impact in a content-cluttered world?
Ensure your content is noticed by your target audience and extend its reach through influencer marketing that relies on a combination of paid, earned, shared and owned media: the PESO model.
What Is PESO?
Paid: Anytime you spend money to get your message in front of your audience. Examples include social media advertising, email marketing, sponsored posts and native advertising.
Earned: Often referred to as publicity or coverage, earned media includes branded mentions by a media outlet, journalist, social media influencer or blogger.
Shared: This is where your social media channels come into play. Often a result of earned or paid media, shared media includes retweets, shares, likes and more.
Owned: This is the content you create and control, including your website, blog, white papers and webinars.
“Where most companies struggle most is combining all four elements of the PESO model,” says Heidi Sullivan, senior vice president, product at Cision. “But integration is where you see success.”
Cision Global Insights, our in-house research team of subject matter experts in digital, PR, marketing and communications, help our clients analyze performance in each medium to determine what is working, what’s not and what opportunities emerge to improve outcomes.
The Rise of Influencer Marketing
In a crowded content world, influencers provide the reach and build the trust needed to convince consumers that you’re worth their valuable time.
Not only can influencers increase your conversion rates and produce an average ROI of $6 for every dollar invested, 72 percent share additional posts outside of their paid agreements with brands.
You’re not the only brand seeking to form partnerships with influencers, but you can stand out if your outreach efforts are focused and personalized. Paid media will help drive awareness of your brand.
Use these tips when deploying paid media:
- Rely on a robust media database to send targeted messaging to the right influencers on their preferred platforms with sponsored posts and ads.
- Influencers may not always be looking for you to provide them exposure. They may also be looking for opportunities to advance their careers and expand their knowledge.
- Take Ian Greenleigh’s “Social Media Side Door” approach by targeting influencers with social media ads. Your ads should showcase your expertise, promote your content and include a clear call to action.
- Drive more brand exposure and traffic through content syndication and promote your content on sites your audience is already visiting.
“No matter which options you choose, be transparent about what you’re doing,” says Sullivan. “Make sure you’re disclosing whether or not your offer is paid.” (click to tweet)
How to leverage paid media in a PESO model:
Once you’ve created your media list and established relationships with key influencers, you can reach out to them to get involved with your brand.
Use these tips to get and leverage earned media:
- Don’t limit yourself to the big players in your industry. Consider micro-influencers and advocates as well. These influencers may have a smaller following, but if their following is engaged, they will be more valuable to your brand.
- Half the battle is knowing where your target influencers are looking for opportunities. Having the data, tools and expertise from Cision Global Insights helps brands target the most influential personalities and provides analysis to inform the creation of successful campaign strategies.
- Employ media relations best practices when making the ask. Be specific and have a clear call to action.
- Establish your goals and set expectations right away. Make sure the influencer knows exactly why they are getting involved.
- Once you get earned media, you can leverage that coverage to gain even more publicity.
How to leverage earned media in a PESO model:
The biggest key to successful shared media relies on how strong your relationships are. This takes time, authentic outreach and consistent engagement.
Use these tips to generate shared media:
- Get on your influencers’ radars by commenting on their posts, sharing their work and engaging them on the channels they use most. Once you make your brand known to them, they will be more likely to comment on and share your own content.
- Ensure you provide influencers with tracked links and appropriate hashtags to track the impact their contributions have on your overall campaign.
- Monitor social channels with advanced listening tools to unearth consumer insights based on your target audience’s perceptions and perspectives. You will see who is sharing, where they are engaged and what content makes the most impact.
- Transform social users into brand advocates by liking organic shares and thanking followers for sharing your posts.
How to leverage shared media in a PESO model:
If you want people to pay attention, you need to create the content your audience wants and that influencers want to share or talk about.
Use these tips to create standout owned media:
- Use your media database, follow influencers’ social media accounts and take an interest in their work to find out what topics and types of content interest them.
- With advanced social listening tools that provide insights into consumer behavior, you can inform future campaigns and content creation strategies.
- Consider offering an influencer exclusive access to your content as an incentive to partner with your brand. For example, if you’ve done original research on a trending topic, pitch the influencer the exclusive opportunity to use the information.
- Get influencers involved in your content creation process by inviting them to write a guest post for your blog or host a webinar with your brand.
- Think about how you can extend the story in other ways. You can promote content on social, send out a press release, create a paid campaign around it or pitch it to reporters.
Have any questions or comments, maybe something to add to this? We would love to hear it